Maintaining Your Dental Veneers
Proper maintenance is crucial in prolonging the lifespan of your dental veneers and ensuring they continue to look their best. Here are some essential steps to help you care for your veneers:
- Practice Good Oral Hygiene: Caring for your veneers is similar to caring for your natural teeth. Brush your teeth at least twice a day using a non-abrasive toothpaste and a soft-bristled toothbrush. Floss daily to remove plaque and food particles from between your teeth and along the gumline.
- Regular Dental Checkups: Schedule regular dental checkups and cleanings with your dentist at Pickett Family Dental. During these appointments, your dentist will assess the condition of your veneers, check for any signs of damage, and professionally clean your teeth. These checkups are vital in ensuring the longevity of your veneers and maintaining your overall oral health.
- Avoid Hard or Crunchy Foods: Dental veneers are durable, but they are not indestructible. To prevent chipping or cracking your veneers, avoid biting into hard or crunchy foods, such as ice, hard candies, or popcorn kernels. Instead, cut these foods into smaller pieces before eating them.
- Limit Staining Foods and Beverages: Although porcelain veneers are stain-resistant, composite resin veneers are more susceptible to discoloration. To keep your veneers looking their best, limit your consumption of staining foods and beverages like coffee, tea, red wine, and berries. When you do consume these items, rinse your mouth with water afterward to minimize staining.
- Use a Night Guard: If you grind or clench your teeth at night, talk to your dentist about getting a custom-fitted night guard. Wearing a night guard while you sleep can help protect your veneers from excessive force and potential damage.
- Avoid Using Your Teeth as Tools: Using your teeth to open packages, remove bottle caps, or perform other non-eating tasks can damage both your natural teeth and your veneers. Instead, reach for the appropriate tool for the job and keep your teeth safe.
Get 15+ Years With Dental Veneers at Pickett Family Dental
Dental veneers offer a long-lasting solution for enhancing your smile and addressing various aesthetic concerns. With proper care and maintenance, porcelain veneers can last up to 15 years, while composite resin veneers typically last between 5 to 7 years. To ensure the longevity of your veneers, it’s crucial to practice good oral hygiene, attend regular dental checkups, avoid hard or crunchy foods, limit staining foods and beverages, use a night guard if necessary, and refrain from using your teeth as tools.
At Pickett Family Dental, we are committed to helping you achieve the smile of your dreams and ensuring that your dental veneers stand the test of time. Our experienced dental professionals will work closely with you to create a customized treatment plan that meets your unique needs and preferences. We will also provide you with guidance and support in maintaining your veneers, so you can continue to enjoy their benefits for years to come.
If you’re considering dental veneers or would like more information about maintaining your current veneers, contact Pickett Family Dental today to schedule a consultation. Our team is dedicated to providing exceptional dental care and helping you achieve the beautiful, healthy smile you deserve.