What are Dentures?
Dentures are artificial teeth anchored inot an acrylic base set of fake gums that replace either the upper or lower set of teeth, or if necessary both the top andbottom sets. Dentures sit in your mouth through a natural suction and depending on your jaw and gum condition, with the help of a denture adhesive. While modern dentures have come a long way, they do still sometimes lose their fit and need to be replaced every few years.
What are Dental Implants?
Dental implants are screw-shaped titanium posts that are inserted into your jawbone to replicate the roots of your lost teeth. These posts stimulate your jawbone, preventing bone loss that typically comes with tooth loss. In the case of someone missing all of their teeth, an average of four to six dental implants can be strategically placed throughout the jaw to hold a permanent denture in place, restoring the patient’s biting force. Implants are designed to last for several decades, possibly even the rest of a patient’s life, and they never need to be refitted.
Why are Dental Implants Better Than Dentures?
There are many reasons why implants are a better solution to tooth loss in the long run, such as:
- Implants preserve your jawbone, which helps to maintain your facial structure and keep you looking young.
- Because implants are firmly rooted in your jawbone, they wind up feeling exactly like your natural teeth. Dentures can sometimes feel a bit fake or unnatural.
- With implants, you can eat pretty much whatever you want, whereas with dentures, certain foods, such as chewing gum and sticky candies, should be avoided.
- Dental implants can last for decades, while dentures need to be relined or replaced every few years.
- It’s easier to clean implants: simply brush and floss as normal. Dentures require extra effort when cleaning.
Now you can see why dental implants are clearly the better alternative to dentures when it comes to replacing missing teeth. If you’re tired of suffering with missing teeth, ask your Keller dentist Dr. Tyson Pickett if dental implants are right for you!