How Do Implant Supported Dentures Work?
While dental implants and dentures both offer options for replacing missing teeth, the process can be combined to maximize the patient’s comfort and functionality. At Pickett Family Dental, we specialize in being able to create custom overdentures that attach to implants in order to secure them in place, allowing you to life your life with a secure fit and worry-free teeth. This multi-step process is as follows:
- Biocompatible titanium screws are inserted into the jaw and given several 3-6 months to bond with the jaw bone, creating a secure new foundation for your coming overdentures.
- Once the implants are secure, we’ll build a customized set of overdentures that fit your mouth and fill the natural shape and color of your teeth.
- We’ll attach the overdentures securely to the implants for a strong, secure fit that allows you to continue talking and eating stress free.
Anatomy of Overdentures
Implant overdentures consist of three main parts:
- A titanium alloy implant that is specially designed to bond with the gums and jaw bone
- An abutment that sticks out above the gums and attaches to the cap on the denture
- The custom modified denture for implants
How Long Do Implant Supported Dentures Last?
About 95% of patients that receive implant overdentures don’t need replacements for up to 20 years with some lasting as long as 25 years. This far exceeds other solo denture or implant options that only last 5 to 15 years. While that’s a respectable amount of time, combining them creates a far more durable product that feels much more natural.
Are You a Candidate For Implant Overdentures?
Once your jaw has finished developing, most adults can receive dental implants. There are exceptions based on health and medical conditions that might decrease the effectiveness of the treatment or cause potential dangers. However, aside from these rare outliers, most patients see fantastic results with benefits that greatly outweigh the risks.
To see if dental implant overdentures are right for you, visit our Keller family dental office or schedule an appointment with Dr. Pickett by calling us at (817) 431-5514.