What is a Frenectomy?
A frenectomy is a quick procedure that we offer at Pickett Family Dental that can involve lip tie removal or tongue tie removal or both. Simply put, you’re able to bring your baby in preferably sooner, rather than later for the benefit of the baby and mom if you’re breastfeeding. Lip ties can cause immediate and long-lasting symptoms and problems.
- problems latching when breastfeeding
- difficulty breathing while breastfeeding
- falling asleep quickly during nursing
- slow weight gain
- clicking noise when nursing
Breastfeeding mother’s can also suffer when a baby struggles with a lip tie and may experience:
- pain during breastfeeding
- fatigue from constant breastfeeding, even though the baby never seems full and satisfied
- engorgement from constant small feedings
- mastitis, or blocked milk ducts which can also be quite painful
What will happen if I don’t get my baby’s lip tie removed?
The effects of non treatment of a lip tie or tongue tie can pass on into adulthood with more life-altering effects. These challenges can involve everything from speech problems from the restricted movement of the upper lip, lower lip, or tongue to migraines and jaw pain, deformities, emotional distress, and trouble smiling. These are just a few of the many symptoms caused by a lip tie being left untreated. If that’s not enough of a reason to get a lip tie removed on your baby right away, here’s a complete list of what your child may have to deal with during their lifetime: